Applying for a job is one of the most important steps in your job search. Your application shows how your education, skills, and experience make you well-suited for the role.
Properly filling out a job application helps provide a positive impression on an employer. This increases your likelihood of being contacted for an interview.
Follow these guidelines to apply for a job and potentially land an interview.
Follow the Directions
Complete your job application as instructed.
- Read the questions several times to ensure you understand them.
- Pay close attention to the details.
- The questions may be related to your character, behavior, or hypothetical situation.
- The fields may request a “yes” or “no,” a few sentences, a full paragraph, or a more in-depth answer.
- Take time to create thorough responses.
- Answer the questions according to the specified format.
Use the job description to determine which keywords and key phrases to include in your job application.
- The keywords may relate to the employer’s desired skills, experience, or personality traits.
- Ensure the keywords show you can fulfill the job duties and requirements.
- Highlight your education, skills, and experience for any technical specifications.
Look for spelling, punctuation, or grammatical errors in your job application.
- Employers look for candidates who pay attention to detail.
- Most jobs require effective communication skills.
- Ask a family member or friend to provide feedback on your answers.
Use a Professional Email Address
Employers typically focus on candidates who have a professional email address.
- Having a professional email address shows you take the job seriously.
- You may want to use a free email service to create an account exclusively for your career.
- Consider using your first and last name in the email address for your job applications.
Track Your Applications
Maintain a system for tracking your job applications.
- Keep a spreadsheet of the companies and roles you applied for.
- Refer to your spreadsheet when answering an employer about an interview.
- Record details of your interviews, job offers, and other results.
Work with a Recruiter
Involve a recruiter from HireCall in your job search. Visit our job board today!